Translate

JoeC's original poetry and photos about life and all things under the sun.

Search This Blog

Thursday, October 10, 2019



One deer
She saw me working in my yard
Two deer
Her sonny fawn following
A sunny October afternoon they sensed my calling
Three deer
Her little girl fawn stepping through that silent swell
Through tall stems of wild grass
Into the orchard where apples fell
Under a spectral glow with its autumn yawn
Across the still green carpet that is the orchard lawn
Fourth deer

Elegant head and ears raised tall
Those bright deer eyes so alert
Sun shone as gold and yellow leaves fall
Fifth deer
Stepping lively without much fear
Across that still meadow
They all must have been laying fairly near
Something provoking them
Standing for a moment in their warm grassy beds
Something invoking them to be brave and take a chance
Approaching me as I stood there
Reading their deer minds I quickly knew
An apple or two plus another few
I spoke soft words as first deer came near
Telling her and her two fawns I'd be right back
Across the wet grass I strode
From a cardboard box in the cool back room of my little cabin
Grabbing a handful of recently gathered Russet apples
Back I went along my narrow path
Not far from the shady village road
Knowing my deer friends would still be there
Waiting for these juicy morsels
Patience waiting for my trusted fare
More soft words spoken
I quietly tossed them my little token
Five deer standing in my pleasant yard
Five tawny friends that come to me
Fearless trust yet still on guard
Such brave and gentle ones
Their big bright eyes all watching me
Those gentle deer with their unmatched beauty
Attached to sweet apples they most certainly see
So I watch as they crunch that rich fruit
Munching munching as I quietly stand
Admiring my uncommon friends with my open hand
This common scene I entertain with genuine glee
They freely finish that fruit from the generous Russet tree
Prancing away with their bright white flags held in place
Still I stand and watch with a smile on my old gray face
As they trustingly turn and wander alas
Away away into that wild field of tall autumn grass




No comments: