Translate

JoeC's original poetry and photos about life and all things under the sun.

Search This Blog

Monday, April 5, 2021


 

friendly
is spelled differently
in America
that bus trip
riding at night
from Portsmouth
a crowded bus
ninety-nine percent
black passengers
rambling to New York city
my thought
friendly
trying to talk
with a black woman
seated next to me
about my own age
twenty-four
early September
august 1978
I merely spoke
neighbourly Canadian
polite tones
no one else spoke
that darkened bus
but my white bones
all the difference
she hardly made a sound
so no little response
until she rose up
with a disgusted huff
no want for white words
pushed past me
into that dark aisle
she radically moved
quietly racist
towards the back
sitting there
wondering what I had done
not knowing what
I had said wrong
so honesty and truth
came to the light
home grown hatred
that eye opening night
remain quiet
sequestered and hidden
deep in dim shadows
every unlit Yankee bus
while girls in Russia
friendly chatter
walk arm in arm
and segregated friendly
like neighbourly
is spelled differently
in America

          * * *

No comments: