Translate

JoeC's original poetry and photos about life and all things under the sun.

Search This Blog

Thursday, June 17, 2021


 

stranded in the weeds
teetering along the edge
wishing somehow I could atone
rendering some fleeting penance  
meeting that sordid long road
for all my unworthy deeds
all those things I've mistakenly not known
sitting silent by a tall fence
consciously separating us both
I'm feeling almost at home
there I'm seeking some sense
for those hard things I've said
all those critical words that I wrote
if I cut down every upright tree
what would the impartial earth think
if I suck dry every freshwater sea
what then would my love find to drink
I've lain naked in the parting forest
exposed and ravaged by the primeval sun
I've gained insight being a tourist
I've traveled the world just for fun
but my journeys not over
so I'll still walk by the river
I'll still stand under the night sky
wonder about all those prophetic stars
I'll stand there quietly and shiver
dreaming someday I might learn to fly
I'll travel down every lonely lane
foraging and seeking forever
even if my journey is vain
I'll still search for love in your eyes
though I'm trapped by this insane mode
but I'll continuously endeavour
secretly writing love poetry in code
I'll sing love songs by the beckoning sea
reckoning then by and by
I'll continue looking for you
even though I am most often shy
I'll cross every ocean
keep on searching for love within me
I'll cry out to the reticent stars
but if I can't find you or me
I'll intentionally travel to Mars
when contentious Mars tells me stories
about retentive Venus and the curious moon
I'll make my way back to that distant place
where insistent love left us too soon
I've abandoned my heart
closed every door
I've broken to pieces
wishing I'd done my part
when I find I can't dream anymore
I'll lay back down in the weeds
dig a deep hole in the dry earth
hoping to find what I need
I'll climb down to hell
striving to find something real
hoping I've something forthright to tell
wanting something worthy to feel
but if the loveless earth stops spinning
when the heartless stars fall from the sky
I'll know there is no winning
no matter how hard I try
 

                      * * *

No comments: