Translate

JoeC's original poetry and photos about life and all things under the sun.

Search This Blog

Monday, June 15, 2020



I am an island
You'll never reach my distant shore
I am far away and resistant
Lost in an existent sea
Never to be rescued
Never ever found
Trussed and sounding
Evermore
I am legend
My journey folklore
Fledgling sea birds
Pledge adoringly
On my windswept rocky ledges
Mocking my impassioned poetry
Skirting my topiary hedges
I steadfastly sleep
Keeping adrift of every windy sweep
Aloft in an unseemly dream world
Trysts of fate and fantasy
Trials beyond my storm ravaged edges
When I savagely awake
An avid sun unfurls
Burly ocean waves break and curl
Beseeching each ebb and flood tide
Reaching o'er my hurdy-gurdy coral reef
Where burly sharks swim and hunt
There is no grief in abiding nature
Merely tunes that do and don't
Won't there be some dirge with lordly stature
Ruling o'er ev'ry mysterious haunt
Justice is far out at sea
Must I sail through a man o' war gauntlet
Rise to know I won't
True love can both fly and fail
Neither you nor I
Can ever avail or know
Where all those stinging tentacles end
In the end a testament
We stay or flee
Bend willingly
Blending things and stirring wishes
Pending knowing what will come or be
Beyond the blur of sharks and ragged reef
Where a tempest sea conjures life itself
Beneath a deep loving ocean shelf

Steep love sleeps
Adoration is lost at sea
Beyond the sweeping horizon
That's where I suspect my island me
Suspended within a tidal bore
Swift undercurrents
Rippling a surging surface
Love's gore undulating with tribulation
Adorning that unofficial mundane office
Garlands of opposites draped in waltz  time
Funding gaping love's novice
Obviously a hurricane future
There I'll scuttle my sutured patchwork raft
Sink slowly into that catchment
Nether to some other craft and glory
Circling in a scurvy vortex
Circumnavigating
Starboard in late afternoon
Fore and aft with mourning sharks
Setting sun glinting
Splintered gems of sunlight
Light swash off flying fish
Bright water roiling 'round shark fins

Lightly holding a divine breath
I dive portside
Beneath the briny deep
Down to Davy Jones' shell-bent locker
Where breathless octopus swoon over airy love
Writhing rivals
Conniving with fairy starfish
Hell-bent tentacles keep
Untouchably awkward
Outward if not upward
Shipwrecks and sunken lands
Curse of the cursive sea
Like every lost island
Love's argot hearse
Calloused sub-mariner love
Marginally amused
Fickle yet terse
I'm an errant black sheep
My imagined ballast
Magnetic poles and feral island verse

No comments: